[quote]If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library? ~ Lily Tomlin[/quote]
Despite our never-ending obsession with youth, some older women prove that age is no obstacle to beauty and elegance.
With a unique sense of fashion and a flattering short hairstyle, our model owns her looks with grace and confidence.
Our talented team of stylists got the perfect balance between her playfully coiffed gray hair, natural makeup and bold red lips.
Haircut: Lance Lappin
Style & Photography: Marco Candela Michelus
Makeup: JV Galindo
Read on to learn tips for short hair, what hair products you should use and what is the best shampoo and conditioner for gray hair.
SHORT HAIRSTYLES FOR OLDER WOMEN DON’T HAVE TO BE BORING
- Keep your hair current.
- If you opt for short hair, a deconstructed short cut is soft and feminine.
- Avoid hard lines around the ears and the hairline.
- Ask for longer pieces in the interior of the hair to create a tousled look.
TRANSFORM YOUR TEXTURE
- Pomades and waxes are best to define, sculpt and add texture to your hairstyle.
- A styling spray made of sea salt works really well with short hair because it adds volume and emphasizes tousled textures with a matte finish.
- The best way to add definition and shape to your short hair is to add your molding paste after your hair is completely dry.
- A trick that stylists do to sculpt hairstyles is to gradually layer products with similar qualities. Try layering Redken Rough Paste 12 Working Material with Davines Sea Salt Spray.
- Don’t let anyone talk you out of going gray if that’s what you wish. Make your gray hair the talk of the town with a fabulous haircut and proper hair care.
- Nothing makes stringy hair look more obvious than when it’s gray. If you choose to go gray, frequent haircuts will keep your hair from looking drab.
- Clean your hair with moisturizing gentle shampoos to prevent the hair cuticle from getting too rough and keep your gray hair shiny.
- Use shampoos with blue and violet direct pigments to counteract unwanted yellow tones and add silver hues.
- Most of the time, gray hair is dry, coarse and frizzy. Extra-moisture is necessary. Smooth hair means lustrous hair.
SHAMPOO FOR GRAY HAIR…
DAVINES ALCHEMIC SHAMPOO SILVER: In addition to having gentle surfactants, this shampoo packs much-needed moisturizing ingredients such as provitamin B5 and hydrolyzed milk proteins.
SACHAJUAN SILVER SHAMPOO: Its highly hydrating properties make this shampoo a great choice for dry hair. It has a violet hue designed to counteract the yellow and brassy tones and add a silver shimmer.
KLORANE SHAMPOO WITH CENTAURY: A gentle shampoo with no synthetic coloring agents and no silicones. The blue pigment in the shampoo comes from Centaury, a perennial plant with blue flowers. It reduces yellowing and accentuates the brilliance of white and gray hair.
[themedy_columns structure=”33|33|33″][themedy_col position=”a”][/themedy_col]
[themedy_col position=”b”][/themedy_col][themedy_col position=”c”][/themedy_col][/themedy_columns]
…PLUS THE BEST PIGMENTED CONDITIONER FOR DRY HAIR
The DAVINES ALCHEMIC CONDITIONER SILVER also has hydrolyzed milk proteins to flatten hair cuticle and direct pigments to make your hair silvery.
Alternate the use of this conditioner with a non-pigmented protein infused conditioner to smooth the hair fiber. To read more on how to strengthen your hair, click here.
[themedy_columns structure=”50|50″][themedy_col position=”a”][/themedy_col]
CREAMS, PASTES AND TEXTURIZING SPRAYS FOR SHORT HAIR THAT ARE EASY TO USE
While these hair styling products are versatile enough for all hair types, they are ideal for short to medium length styles.
Great for creating ragged, deconstructed texture. They are easy to use and manipulate hair without getting hard and tacky.
Most favorite styling product: DAVINES SEA SALT SPRAY. Spray to wet hair before styling to give body or to dry hair to add final definition and increase texture.
[themedy_columns structure=”25|25|25|25″][themedy_col position=”a”][/themedy_col]