We asked our makeup artists Dino Mastrogiovanni and JV Galindo to share their useful skincare tips and must-have face products:
AVOID SUN, SMOKE, SUGAR: They hinder collagen production, dehydrate and cause premature elastin degradation
- Sun damage disintegrates collagen and elastin fibers. Be sun smart.
- Do NOT smoke. Smoking specifically prevents subcutaneous collagen production and the replacement of dead skin cells.
- Sugar affects your skin directly by causing biochemical reactions that interfere and deteriorate collagen and elastin.
DON’T BANISH FAT & PROTEIN: Not enough protein in your diet contributes to poor muscle tone, bad skin and brittle hair
- Diets devoid of protein and essential fatty acids affect your skin and hair severely, not to mention your overall well-being.
- Good fats and foods rich in fatty acids such as Omega-3 and Omega-6 promote healthy skin function and appearance.
- Your skin needs enough healthy protein to keep producing collagen and prevent elastin from breaking down.
- Eat salmon, walnuts and flaxseed oil often for beautiful skin and lustrous hair. Buy 100% unrefined, unfiltered, organic Flaxseed Oil here.
- If you don’t get enough fatty acids from your diet, take an Omega-3 supplement. Try Nordic Naturals Omega-3D. In addition to all the benefits of Omega-3 formula, each serving of this formula also provides 1000 I.U. of vitamin D3, meeting the daily recommendation for people who do not receive enough sun exposure. Buy it here.
CLEANSE THOROUGHLY BUT GENTLY: Maintaining skin’s natural moisture is the most important step to keep skin healthy
- Cleansing oils and oil-based makeup removers are excellent for dehydrated and dry skin.
- Our makeup artists recommend DHC Deep Cleansing Oil for its good-for-you ingredients and its ability to dissolve all makeup while leaving your skin moisturized and soft. Buy it here.
USE FACIAL MIST SPRAYS: Rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other skin-loving extracts, facial sprays and mists are the most underrated skincare products
- Repechage Algo Mist Hydrating Seaweed Facial Spray is formulated with essential fatty acids extracted from seaweed, Vitamin C, Aloe Vera and Gingko Biloba essence to infuse skin with instant moisture and glow. Buy it here.
USE PRIMER BEFORE MAKEUP: It refines pores and smooths skin, preparing it for makeup application
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is weightless, mineral-based, water-resistant and it has SPF 15.
- FREE of Parabens, Sulfates and Phthalates.
- It conceals skin flaws, fills in fine lines, and minimizes pores. Buy it here.
ALTERNATIVELY, CC CREAMS ARE AN ADVANCED TYPE OF PRIMER: Replace your heavy foundation with it
- With five sources of vitamin C and tripeptide-5 to plump skin, diffuse imperfections and reduce fine lines, Ole Henriksen Perfect Truth™ CC Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is a must-have. Buy it here