Just wanted to write to say that Sandra is the BEST colorist ever!! She is hugely professional, so talented, and very warm. She gave me beautiful blonde highlights while keeping my base natural — I love it — thanks so much ~ Katelin
Rome wasn’t built in a day. Likewise, good hair color is a work in progress. Provided you have good chemistry with your hair stylist, you should stick with him or her. “One night stand” visits at every hair salon in NYC is never the answer for gorgeous sun kissed highlights. When you start at a new salon, even if the colorist is rated as the “best hair colorist in NYC“, you have to trust your instincts. If it feels wrong, walk away before you start. Find below some tips of how you can get perfect sun kissed highlights every brunette wants.
- Bring in pictures from magazines of hair styles and colors you like.
- Bring in pictures from magazines of hair styles and colors you DON’T like.
- Whenever possible bring in picture of you as a child. Your natural highlights as a child is what your colorist is trying to recreate.
- Ask your colorist to only make your highlights 1 or 2 shades lighter than your natural hair color.
- Ask your colorist to avoid your part so you won’t get the spaghetti effect. The lighter the highlights, the starker the contrast will be.
- Ask you colorist to avoid too much symmetry. Nature does not lighten our hair symmetrically, only humans.
- Less is more. It is not the quantity but the placement of highlights that matters.
- Hot tip: If your hair is dark brown and want your highlights lighter than 1 or 2 shades, your colorist MUST stay away from your hairline, part and must start your highlights at various points of origin.