The coquettish long layered hair with sweetly side-swept bangs and bronze infused highlights accentuate our model’s doe eyes and seductive plush lips with velvet finish. But it’s her long beautiful healthy hair we all wish we had.
Style & Color: Crystal Lake
Makeup Artist: JV Galindo
Photography: Marco Candele Michelus
How Do You Get Your Hair Long And Healthy?
FACTS ABOUT HAIR:
- Hair grows in a three stage cycle. On average, each hair grows independently from each other for 1000 days. After the growth phase ends, hair enters a short phase to signal the hair follicle that the rest phase is about to begin. Finally, the hair follicle becomes inactive. Hair falls out and new hair starts growing. Genetic factors and age decide how long each hair grows.
- Healthy hair is silky, elastic and easy to brush. The healthier the hair shaft is, the less the chances of hair breakage. The less your hair breaks, the greater the chances that it will reach its genetically determined maximal length.
- The hair cuticle is the outer layer of the hair shaft and it is made of keratin cells that overlap like shingles on a roof. The cuticle’s role is to protect the hair shaft from damage. When the hair cuticle stays flat and adheres tightly to the cortex, your hair stays in top shape.
- Environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, wind, seawater, air pollution, chlorinated pool water cause cuticle swelling and consequently, hair damage. Moreover, excessive shampooing, too much or incorrect hair coloring, combing, brushing, styling, blow-drying and other styling tools can also harm your hair.
A GUIDE TO PROTECTING YOUR HAIR’S CUTICLE
Minimizing The Degradation Caused By Environmental, Grooming And Chemical Factors
- USE THE RIGHT SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
Pick an appropriate shampoo. Shampoos and conditioners are formulated differently for different hair types. You shouldn’t wash your hair every day, but if you do, use a shampoo for everyday use, because everyday shampoos have minimal cleansing properties. If you color your hair, use shampoos and conditioners for colored hair. These shampoos are created to decrease the swelling of the hair cuticle caused by hair coloring.
- CHOOSE PROTEIN INFUSED HAIR PRODUCTS
When hair cuticles swell and dislocate, the cortex becomes exposed and gets damaged. Damaged hair shaft has holes in its structure. Look for products containing hydrolyzed protein, since a smaller protein molecule will penetrate the hair shaft easier and fill in these holes. For better results, use a protein treatment once a week as a deep conditioning treatment. The longer the protein conditioner stays on the hair shaft, the more protein deposits into it.
- USE A pH ADJUSTER
Healthy hair has a pH that falls between 4.5 and 5.5. When the pH level increases past 5.5, the cuticle cells swell up. This swelling makes the cuticle scales loosen and therefore, hair becomes sensitive to damage. Balance your pH with a product that has an acidic substance like glycolic acid.
- REDUCE COMBING AND BRUSHING TO A MINIMUM
Comb your hair gently before you wash it. Start combing at the tip ends of your hair and work you way up the hair shaft with a widely spaced teeth comb. Don’t yank your hair when it’s wet, wet hair breaks easily.
- GET FREQUENT HAIRCUTS
Regular haircuts are not overrated. Split ends travel up the hair shaft. Remove them every six weeks to keep your hair healthy.
FIX DAMAGED HAIR: DRY HAIR PRODUCTS
IT’S A 10 MIRACLE SHAMPOO PLUS KERATIN
Packed with hydrolyzed vegetable protein, hydrolyzed keratin & hydrolyzed wheat protein. Great for curly, frizzy hair. Sulfate free, sodium chloride free, paraben free. Perfect after any keratin smoothing treatment.
AUBREY ORGANICS GPB GLYCOGEN PROTEIN BALANCING SHAMPOO
A particularly acidic shampoo packed with citric acid and vitamin C. It has milk protein & hydrolyzed soy protein. Great pH adjuster, it will shrink rough, weak cuticles.
BAIN DE TERRE KERATIN PHYTO-PROTEIN STRENGHTHENING SHAMPOO
Enriched with keratin and a blend of wheat, corn and soy protein. Sulfate free and paraben free. Perfect after any keratin smoothing treatment.
LIVING PROOF RESTORE SHAMPOO
A gentle shampoo for dry, damaged hair. It has hydrolyzed wheat protein. Sulfate free, silicone free, oil free. Safe for color and chemically treated hair. Perfect after any keratin smoothing treatment.
LIVING PROOF FULL CONDITIONER
A lightweight conditioner designed for fine hair. Formulated with hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein and citric acid, to strengthen cuticles and rebuild hair structure. Great pH adjuster. Sulfate free, silicone free, oil free.
IT’S A 10 MIRACLE LEAVE-IN PLUS KERATIN
Infused with hydrolyzed keratin, keratin amino acids & silk amino acids. Salicylic balances pH acid and shrinks swollen cuticles. Great to keep up keratin straightening treatments.
BAIN DE TERRE
An acidic conditioner packed with hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein & hydrolyzed corn protein. Ideal for weak, damaged or processed hair. Great pH adjuster.
DAVINES HAIR BUILDING PAK
It replenishes lost protein with keratin & hydrolyzed keratin. Formulated at pH 5.3. Ideal for weak, stressed, mechanically damaged hair with rough cuticles.